That’s hard to answer quickly. But we’ll give it a go:
- We’re a proudly different, diverse multi-modality clinic
- We’re all working to make a meaningful difference to lives
- We care about our patients, as individuals
- We’re all life-long learners
- We want to grow old together
- Being at Tyack Health feels like you’re ‘at home’
- Everybody’s on the same team and everything’s for the patient
There’s more… you should also know we have three passions:
- Integrated holistic health care
- Treating the cause, not just the symptoms
- Our values, purpose and vision
Tyack Health is passionate about keeping our environment healthy. We recognise the significance the health of our environment plays, to improve the health of all humans and creatures on planet earth.
The Tyack Health facility at Manly West was designed by architect Greg Dunstan and Landscape Architect Chadwick Palmer, in keeping with the brief from the clinic founders and clinic team. Together, these stewards of environmentally responsible design, campaigned for two years to convince council town planners to allow the Tyack Health clinic to be built differently, to retain the natural beauty of the area and to allow it to be built on a paperbark swamp. It was imperative to the clinic team and architects that the trees and wildlife on the site be preserved and the ground water levels needed to sustain them were maintained. To achieve this, the design includes:
- Environmentally friendly hardwood timber car parks hand laid to preserve the tree roots and allow runoff rainwater to be retained in the soil rather than end up in storm water drains.
- The building slab was one of the largest single span waffle pods in southeast Queensland at the time. This design reduces disturbance to the soil and allows the building to float on the swampy soil.
- The walls of the main building, both internal and external, are Hebel (aerated concrete) which is clean, energy efficient and causes less building waste. It also has excellent acoustic properties so our consulting rooms are quiet, peaceful and private.
- Most of the windows in the main building are recycled from a demolished Brisbane high rise and are double glazed for energy efficiency and excellent noise reduction for privacy.
- The second building was also built to fit in around the trees and not disturb the soil or roots of the trees.
- The building is 75% constructed from sustainable timber products.
In operating the clinic, we have a Tyack Health Eco Team who continually look at ways we can reduce waste and minimize environmental impact. These initiatives include:
- Recycling our printer cartridges
- Recycling paper and cardboard
- Recycling glass, plastic and metals
- Water saving devices fitted to our water taps
- Native drought resistant plants so we do not need to water
- Compost bin for organic food waste – used to fertilise our gardens
- Battery recycling program for business use and our staff home use
- Air conditioning starting times staggered to limit peak energy loads
- Refitting our buildings with energy efficient LED lights
- E-waste recycling program