New Year’s Resolutions and Goal Setting
by Dr. Ilze Grobler, Clinical Psychologist, Tyack Health Head of Psychology
When our life is experienced as purposeful, significant and meaningful it can promote well-being. As you reflect on your goals for 2012, ask yourself these questions:
• Why do you want to reach your resolution?
• What’s going to help you follow through and achieve your goals?
Tips for setting resolutions that stick:
1. Set intentions, not “musts”
2. Connect with your “why”
3. Set goals in line with your values
4. Let go of restrictions and punishment
5. Check your progress
6. Let go of perfection and unrelenting standards
And remember: Goals give direction and purpose and a sense of optimism. But paint with a broad brush. Fill in the details as needed. Plan for tomorrow but live a day at a time!